Role Title: Volunteer News Reporter: London360
Reporting to: Executive Producer
Contract: 3 months
Hours: Full-time, 9:30am – 5:30pm
Eligibility Criteria: This scheme is open to 18-25 year olds only
Expenses: Up to £80 per week to cover travel and lunch expenses
Media Trust background:
At Media Trust we believe that everyone should have a voice and an audience to inspire positive change.
We are the UK’s leading communications charity. Our corporate members include BBC, Channel 4, Daily Mail and General Trust, Discovery Networks Europe, Elmwood, Google, Guardian Media, IPC Media, ITV plc, MTV Networks UK and Ireland, News International, OMD, Sky and WPP.
We help charities, communities and campaigns deploy the power of the media to change the world. We offer a broad range of marketing and communication resources and training, free professional support from media volunteers and mentors, film and content production, funding for media projects, and the national digital TV and online channel, Community Channel.
At Community Channel we want you to pause for a moment and think about the world around you. We are about inspiring our viewers to take action on the causes and issues that matter to them.
Media Trust is a member of the Cultural Diversity Network (CDN) whose challenge is to change the face of television, onscreen and off, by ensuring broadcast media accurately reflects Britain’s increasingly multicultural society.
This project is funded by City Bridge Trust, and requires a dynamic and enthusiastic team of Reporters. Through reports, video stories and other digital media platforms sourced from around London you will produce compelling community based journalism; telling the stories of London’s communities.
- Working in a team you will produce a regular news and campaigning magazine show called London360 for distribution on broadcast and online platforms.
- You will gain experience of all the different aspects of campaign and news production, creating blogs, reports, photojournalism, video-journalism, broadcast-journalism and social media.
- You will gain experience of all areas of news and campaign delivery, from sourcing stories, to creating and editing packages and distributing them to wider audiences.
- You will distribute content on broadcast, online, press and social media platforms ensuring that stories gain the widest circulation possible and maximum impact.
- You will receive extensive training in multi-media journalism and be managed by an experienced news executive producer and have the support of a video editor.
- You will engage with a pool of around 50 community journalists and bloggers from across London.
- You will frequently write a ‘head to head’ feature for The Voice newspaper.
- You will have the opportunity to feature on BBC Radio London as ‘the voice of London’ on Eddie Nestor’s show.
- Work under the guidance of the Executive Producer to produce London360 including delivering on key dates, targets and milestones.
- Work across a range of roles including: Researcher, Producer, Presenter, Director, Camera Operator, Sound, Online Content Producer, Video Editor, Distributer, Marketing/PR, Photojournalism.
- Produce weekly blogs/ tweets/ articles and photographs to create and tell community news and campaigns
- Research and develop story ideas to create the weekly news agenda
- Establish and develop relationships with the wider pool of 50 community journalists and bloggers across London and engage them in the project by delivering the news agenda and any other briefs
- Establish and develop relationships with mainstream media journalists and broadcasters across London to increase access to distribution opportunities
- Assisting with the monitoring and evaluation of the scheme alongside the Editor
This would suit somebody with the following attributes:
- Basic knowledge of journalism, filming and editing would be beneficial.
- A strong interest in local news and campaigns.
- An enthusiasm for written and broadcast journalism.
- A good knowledge and understanding of media, communications and PR.
- Excellent attention to detail, planning and organisational skills.
- Excellent communication skills across all levels of an organisation, both written and verbal.
- Hardworking and flexible work ethic.
- Able to achieve results and focus on deadlines.
- Commitment to equal opportunities and the aims and values of Media Trust.
Previous reporters have gone on to work for broadcasters such as Sky, BBC Radio, independent TV production companies and many more
To watch London360 and find out more information please visit our website: http://communitychannel.mediatrust.org/london360
Closing Date: 10am Monday 10th September
Interviews: Must be available on 13th – 14th September
Start Date: Must be available to start on 1st October
How to apply
For a full Job Description please visit www.mediatrust.org/jobs
First download and complete the Equal Opportunities form (Doc, 36.Kb).
Write a blog (max 300 words) about a community you would cover for London360. Email L360@communitychannel.org for any questions.
Then email your blog, CV and a covering letter describing how your skills and experience match our requirements, together with the completed Equal Opportunities form to email@example.com with the name of the role you are applying for in the subject heading.
The Media Trust values diversity and is an equal opportunities employer
Registered Charity no. 1042733